Pages

17 mars 2018

Would you know any ttrpg that uses fouls/penalties in its rules?

Would you know any ttrpg that uses fouls/penalties in its rules? I mean something like: the player must do X. If they don't respect this rule, it's a foul, and they must suffer this penalty?

10 commentaires:

  1. Isn't that any saving throw mechanic: save or die, dodge or get burned, etc.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. No, I meant, rules that prescribe what happends when other rules are broken. English isn't my first language and I know next to nothing to the proper sport vocabulary.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Synnibar had the classic “if the GM houserules this game the current session is null and void, and all players win a ton of XP.”

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Dog Eat Dog is about colonists who develope a set of rules the native players have to follow. If they don't follow them, they lose tokens. When they're out of tokens they're out of the game.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Kevin Farnworth but that's all in-character, right? I think the OP is asking about penalties if players break the rules

    I'd look at various editions of Paranoia!! and Kobolds Ate My Baby

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. In Risus Companion, players may act IRL to prevent their characters to get penalties. For instance, they may sing together or build a musical. That's an optional rule but for not-so-serious session I recommend it because it is fun.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Legends of the Wulin does this. It's one of its best features.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Ah, I misunderstood. 10 Candles is a horror game that uses 10 lit candles to represent all the hope left, they go out as the game goes on. If any player accidentally jostles one out, that amount of hope is still gone. Dread's similar: if anyone knocks over the Jenga tower even accidentally, their character dies.

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. So there are few ttrpg where there are these two levels of rules, one addressing the transgression of the other and being gameable, like in sports. Interesting. Thanks for your answers. I'll have to find knowledgeable sources for Paranoia and Kobolds Ate My Baby.

    RépondreSupprimer