Pages

28 avril 2017

With what games could I say: "it's not how big your dice pool/size is, it's how you use it"?

11 commentaires:

  1. Mouse Guard, off the top of my head. (Hope it wasn't a joke question)

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. No, I am really wondering. The formulation is tongue-in-cheek, the question is serious. So, how does it works in MG JC Nau?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thought of MG because you can take dice out of your pool to willingly shoot yourself in the foot (for drama's sake, plus ulterior benefits). This, plus the fact that the size of the pool is guided by the fiction, makes it a pretty good example of a game where the way you do stuff matters more than sheer pool size. But I think DitV is a much better answer.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Lots of Barker stuff -- not only DitV, but Otherkin and a few others. These typically use fortune-in-the-middle: you start an action, roll the dice, and make choices about how to allocate your die values.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. MG dors not qualify: the bigger the pool, the more chance you have to succeed. There is no choices (other than dropping one or two dice for the sake of using Traits).

    Dogs in the Vineyard ?
    Oh Yes. Big time.

    Also: Cortex+ as tuned in MARVEL HEROIC RPG.
    Once assembled and rolled, you get to choose which dice will be added for total (how good is your action) and which one you chose for effect (how much "damage")
    Also somme powers can " break down" dice: use 3d8 instead of 1d12 decreases randomness but you might need the result of this fat d12, imagine it rolls a 11 or 12 !

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Thank you, guys, I am learning a lot about what I was thinking but unaware of when I thought about this question.

    Seems we're deep in the Bakers territory. I had thought about Otherkind dice, but not the others.

    Cortex+ in MHRPG, how could I forget this one, especially today Emmanuel Moreau? Shame on me. Great choice.

    Jesse Cox you're mechanical description reminded me Bliss Stage, thanks.

    Matthieu B I must read (or better, play, but I am not sure I'll enjoy it) Abstract Dungeon some day, yes.

    JC Nau and Luke Wayland DiTV answers the question, yes, but it just doesn't work for me in that way. Pure personal perception.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. In the game Inflorenza, the much dices you roll, the higher chances of success you have. But the much dices you roll, the higher chances of harmful success you have. After being rolled, dices become fallout dices. The person who rolled the dice pool has also the responsability to distribute the (positive or negative or positive-negative) fallout dices within the team.

    RépondreSupprimer