Pages

31 mars 2016

It’s official, my gaming (ttrpg) headset with microphone died yesterday.


It’s official, my gaming (ttrpg) headset with microphone died yesterday. RIP microphone. Any recommendations? I am looking for a  headset with a good mike (natural sounding voice, no plosive nor sibilant troubles, doesn’t pick up too much ambient noise), confortable fit and decent sound (so I can use it for three to four hours), low sound leakage. Not too expensive.

For reference, I had a Sennheiser PC310, I found the microphone sound to be quite good (but you can tell me otherwise), confortable and decent sound but too much sound leakage (I had echoes on some recordings) and a bit uncomfortable to wear (I had sore ears after 3 hours).

8 commentaires:

  1. I've been using my Razer Kraken headset for a few years now. My gaming sessions are about 2-3 hours, video gaming is occasionally longer.

    It's extremely comfortable. The mic is good. It picks up more ambient noise than I'd like, but that's my only quibble.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Oh ? I've killed mine two days ago... so... 
    /sub ! :p

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Thanks Michael Graves ! Never heard of ModMic before and that's just what I was looking for.

    For headphones, I have got:
    - Philips Fidelio (X2)
    - Focal Spirit (One)
    They are great but expensive.

    Great thread by the way!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Can't help that much. I have a Sennheiser PC350 (SE) and I really dig it. Confortable (4h gaming without any sore ears), good mic, pretty good sound.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. That's great info, thanks, keep it coming! I didn't know about Modmic, great idea, that. There is an european distributor with reasonable shipping costs, so I'll seriously consider that solution.
    FYI before asking here, I was considering these headsets:
    Sennheiser PC-8 USB €33
    Sennheiser PC-310 €45
    Beyerdynamic DT 234 PRO €79
    Audio-Technica BPHS1 €189
    One of the difficulties I meet in choosing one is how few objective reviews there are. Especially in terms of microphone quality or sound leaks, most reviews being focused on whether they have enough (or too much) basses and how they compare to the reviewer’s arbitrary personal favorite. Very few physical measures. Not many comparisons, especially none that crosses headsets categories (phone/chat headsets, gaming headset, studio headsets). It’s very difficult to get an idea of what costs how much. What is quality and what is market segmentation. I could go with the “I’ll get what I’ll pay for” mindset, but I fear getting bad champagne for the price of an excellent sparkling wine.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Michael Graves ;)

    (In case I my analogy was unclear, I meant paying more for the "pro" tag and brand rep rather than real quality)

    Thanks for your blog, intersting info.

    DPA is totally out of my budget. I might go up to 200€ providing I am getting a real, obvious quality difference, but i'd prefer a much lower price. (Yeah, I know I am still under the price of many hi-fi headphones, not including a microphone.)

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Gherhartd Sildoenfein Nah, I see a lot of the very high $ headphones as fashion over function. Or at very least, my 49 year old ears can't hear the difference.

    RépondreSupprimer