Pages

27 novembre 2017

Two sides of that fence.

Two sides of that fence.

Originally shared by Jesse Burneko

Forgive me a flippant pet peeve indulgence:

This is a quote from a Cthulhu Dark review: " It envisions that Cthulhu Dark scenarios will be designed and run in a very specific way by the Keeper (despite much of this not actually being especially enforced by the game rules), and proclaims these requirements as dictats from the designer. This is something which inevitably gets my back up because in an RPG refereeing context I hate feeling like a game designer is trying to run the game for me"

I'm sorry, but this is literally why I am buying a game. I'm paying the game designer to tell me how to run their game. I am turned off if this is NOT present in an RPG.

Yes, designer, please tell me how to run your game. I can run my own games just fine. But I am not so arrogant as to believe that my "style" is all encompassing and perfect. I'm hear to listen and learn how to run YOUR game.

Thank you, game designer, for your time and instruction.

6 commentaires:

  1. (despite much of this not actually being especially enforced by the game rules) If true, then it's kind of sad.
    I don't want the designer to tell me how their game is supposed to be played - I wan't it te be clear from the reading of the rules.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Is there really a difference ? And should it be clear to the reader if the rules ensure you do anyway ?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Gherhartd Sildoenfein I appreciate when a game tells me how it's supposed to be played, and what effect the rules are supposed to produced. But when a game is supposed (and marketed) to be about contemporary supernatural gothic horror, and is truly about either political drama or superheroic night creatures, there is a hiatus.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. That's a totally different question. (And I must say in this context, it's at the same time a red herring, and in itself begging the question and a tired strawman argument.)

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. You're right.
    If the game I buy is marketed to do A (marketed, explained in the rules) and does indeed A, it's cool (I know why I have bought the game). But if he does B, it's obviously deceptive; on the other hand, if the game wans't marketed at all to do A or B, I won't feel frustration, and that's probably better.

    RépondreSupprimer