Pages

26 décembre 2016

Is there a Sapir-Whorf hypothesis for names?

8 commentaires:

  1. like if you are French speaking you are likelly to name your son something like Kévin ?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. No, not like that. But people named Kevin are, in France, statistically much much less succesful at getting their baccalaureate (A levels, HSC, VCE). Here the socioeconomics context is probably much more important then the name in itself.

    But I believe what one's names are, how they are called and what they call themselves, must have some kind of influence on how one feels, thinks and acts.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. I must disagree. I don't believe that the name itself has any influence. However, how that name blends in your socioeconomic background, how it influences the reactions of others around you may have.
    But at this point that's only intuitions and beliefs, so it's not any more valid than your own premise.

    There is a case where I'll consider name influence on behaviour : name change. Whether it's by an ouside source (when I was young I had a friend adopted out of an african country, his french parents called him Marc, his african name was Saidou, teachers called him marc-saidou, and every kid at school called him doudou) or self-decided.

    But even there, I'm skeptical. The Sapir-Whorf hypothesis (as I understand it, not being a linguist), implies that your linguistic structures influence your perception of the world and then the way you think about it. Applying it to names makes me think about the first name horoscopes" you find over the internet just like this one : http://www.first-names-meanings.com/names/name-JULIEN.html. I guess that's not what your saying though...

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. No, what I am saying is that names have meanings, direct and associated. They change how the bearer perceives himself and how other perceive him and hence behave towards them.

    Watch "Chefs' table France" e02, see how important his name was for chef Connard. Being named Ulysses, Satan or Arwen will probably have consequences.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. I still disagree. But I don't have anything useful to help you answer these questions. But I know kids named Ulysses and Arwen (whose brother is called Merlin), may be we would ask them in a few years.
    But I still think that the name is a symptom, not a cause in all these matters. However havong no arguments other than intuition, my opinion isn't worth much

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I am not saying there is an effect. Wouldn't this kind of things frightfully difficult to prove? I am only asking if this was already studied, and whether it has a denomination.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Hé mais c'est super-sympa ça :) Bon, on n'est pas beaucoup plus avancé sur le sujet, mais c'est sympa. Merci !

    RépondreSupprimer