Pages

14 août 2017

I don’t believe anymore in the intrinsic value of endings, of properly closed games or fictions.

8 commentaires:

  1. You don't believe in closure in general?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I don't need them, and am a strong proponent of "tranche de vie", but whenever I create a piece of fiction without a proper ending, people hate it. Or write me to ask whether they missed something :(

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. No Luke Wayland​, I need or crave for or like closure for a number of things. Not so much for games and fictions. And I guess that chasing for closure at all price in these domains isn't good (for me).

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Really? That's funny and an interesting point of view because you are my exact opposite. For me, ending accounts for around 50% of the value of a game or a fiction... that I finished. I strongly believe in closure.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. (and for the record, I like closure on things in general and I love short formats in all art forms. Like 3-minute slam poems, nanofiction, 2h-larps etc. Longform just doesn't work for me. And I love some endings. I just don't need them if the piece worked without it)

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. I've come to realize that the sessions/campaigns I most fondly remember are the ones that left the players wanting more. Some kind of closure is always a plus, but not truly "finishing" things with a nice bow on it isn't a problem in my book. So I definitely agree about the "no intrinsic value" point.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Laurent Condon there are endings that are important, that really add value imho. Like the 6th sense or LOTR, Rogue One. But there are many where I feel there is an ending because it is what is done, but that adds nothing, or worse, being forced and artificial, removes from the creation. Many "false" ending, that bring closures only to what is the most visible, flashy, part of the fiction but leave many things dangling.

    For ttrpg, I found that games that planned for a fixed ending (a number of player turns, of gaming session, or more precise things like "now we resolve your character's issue") were much less satisfying for me than what I expected.

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. Thanks, Zak Sabbath. I have to digest it, but this is very interesting.

    RépondreSupprimer