Pages

13 août 2017

In my mind the X-card is a tool to enable "nobody will be hurt" kind of play.

In my mind the X-card is a tool to enable "nobody will be hurt" kind of play. What is a tool for "I will not abandon you"?

10 commentaires:

  1. In Archipelago the "harder" phrase is relevant, but not enough by itself. Post-game debrief/cooldown might be relevant too.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Could you give a little more context for me? Like, what action do you want? Reinforcement, etc.? Cuz like, the main tool for "I will not abandon you" that I've seen is "build a social contract with your fellow players" and that's not really something easily mechanized. It's possible, I think, but I don't know of any great tools for it. I'd say Joshua Fox is close with "harder" for pushing it forward but I don't see any surrounding support network there.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. X-card plus processing time afterwards. Genuinely inquiring how people are doing, with time to chew it over. Advance notice that there will be processing time and its purpose.

    I think all this serves as a sort of con-length 'relationship' context for the game. We might never have met before and so the game is our only contact, but I'm committing to wrapping the in-character segment in an out-of-character segment that allows for player feelings.

    Clear intent that processing is about the feelings of the players rather than deciding as a group how the session went. i.e. no cross talk, as in "Huh, I thought that bit was OK actually."

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. I don't exactly know I am searching for. I've never really played in a "I will not abandon you" mode (or I didn't notice?) but I imagine it entails a more active participation of each player then just removing problematic content and asking no question. I see it as helping people explore beyond their comfort zone into their extension zone, but not going into their stress zone. Of course, everyone must be aware of their own reaction and inform the others, so a tool like script change is obviously a good start, but their must be way to help other to explore their boundaries, to care for them, to encourage them when they can go further and to stop them when they want to go too far, but till now I see this as tremendously difficult and a bit dangerous. Especially in the online, voice only games I am mainly playing in nowadays (not that I think the video feed would help me, I am too bad at deciphering faces).

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Okay!

    So, one of the things I do at the beginning of most games I run is I ask for veto topics - hard line, soft line - and things we want to see in game. This is not a "mechanic" but instead just an action. From there, though, we know that "soft line" (like lines and veils, I think?) can be pushed a little, we can do exploration there. And as time goes on, sometimes people become more comfortable and we can adjust "soft" to "okay" and "hard" to "soft." But this requires a comfortable table.

    Another tool is the "O" card (http://www.gamingaswomen.com/posts/2013/01/finding-my-o-with-the-x-card/) which allows players to indicate that they want to go further, and is a good accompaniment to the X card. This is when someone is basically in a situation where they're like "this is something scary to me, but do it more!" and it can help establish a culture where, because you have something to protect you (in this case, the X card, but in other cases, social contracts without a mechanic), you can push that limit.

    I do intend to integrate something like this into Script Change, where it allows people to push boundaries but only with the context of safety and content control. "Pause" is part of this ("gimme a second to recover, guys, but let's keep going!"), but I want to expand. I just need to do more research, you know?
    gamingaswomen.com - Finding My O with the X-Card | Gaming As Women

    RépondreSupprimer