Pages

13 août 2015

I’ve been almost unable to read narrative books (fiction and non-fiction) for the last four years.


I’ve been almost unable to read narrative books (fiction and non-fiction) for the last four years. It’s strange. I was an avid reader.

It is part time-management problem, as most time I devoted to reading disappeared, part internet addiction, as tablets is a kind of internet-made-book, but it’s mostly a kind of mental block. I read rpg and non-narrative books (essay, guides, science, technical, …) allright. I watch narratives on the television (but with less pleasure then before – I think). I don’t read comics anymore. I didn’t unbox them since I moved last year and read only one of those I received as a birthday gift from friends (I used to love comics.) And, on the whole, I read much less than before.

I have no idea where it comes from. I know when it started: that time I had a serious gming burnout. Maybe up to a year before that, while I was burning myself out, but I didn't notice at the time, I am not so sure.

I am going to experiment. I am going to force myself reading narratives again. I set this rule to myself : one reading in three will be a narrative, starting with the next book. It will be Terry Pratchett’s Snuff.

16 commentaires:

  1. I found commuting was very good for reading, since I didn't have anything else to do on the train. Since I started driving I've read a lot less.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Yes commuting is very good, but I lost most of these opportunities.

    What troubles me isn't that I don't read, it's that I have lost all taste for narratives.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Social media is evil. So were forums and bbs before. And television.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Terry pratchett is so good. You should read the NightWatch Series and the post office, if you haven't already.
    https://kokkieh.files.wordpress.com/2015/03/discworld-reading-order-guide.jpg

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. He was, wasn't he? That's why I chose him. I probably read the city watch books 5 or 6 times at least (a tad less for Jingo which I like less, and the more recent Thud!) , Going Postal 2 or 3 times.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. It"s good learning that I am not alone and that I can go back to "normal".

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Arrête la télé (et autres écrans associés) !

    RépondreSupprimer
  8. I gotta say, Snuff may not be your best choice to dive back into narrative. It sadly suffers from a weak structure, and isn't, well... up to snuff compared to the other Pratchett works

    RépondreSupprimer
  9. Etienne Bar  La télé, c'est social. Mais ce n'est pas une question de trouver le temps de lire - je lis. C'est un blocage face aux récits.

    RépondreSupprimer
  10. I'll keep that in mind, Sean Gomes, thanks for the warning.

    RépondreSupprimer
  11. Il faudrait que tu m'expliques en quoi la télé est une activité sociale, mais bref.
    Peut-être qu'il te faut sortir de la fantasy, SF et autres "mauvais" genres. Si j'en crois mon expérience personnelle, on s'en lasse...
    Si tu veux une liste d' excellents livres, j'en ai des toutes prêtes sous la main ^_^

    RépondreSupprimer
  12. Oh je n'étais pas du tout exclusive Fantasy / SF. Ce sont des "genres" qui me plaisaient bien, mais je lisais un peu de tout.

    RépondreSupprimer
  13. Cameron Mount It crossed my mind, but I'm not really an audiobook person. I like to concentrate on the driving and have music in the background.

    Also, since I moved my commute is, like, 10 minutes.

    RépondreSupprimer
  14. I read quite a bit on my tablet and smartphone.  When my e-reader broke I migrated to my phone, and it works surprisingly well.  Cool Reader is my app of choice, and I keep my library on my google Drive account.  I read more now than I did before.

    RépondreSupprimer