Pages

17 novembre 2016

On the how, not what front.

On the how, not what front.

Originally shared by Tim Koppang

Nothing brilliant here, but more than a little snobbery (sorry):

In discussing shows like Westworld, I'm a little taken aback by how much primacy people afford plot over other considerations like character, theme, etc. Sure, it's fun to try to "solve" the puzzle that is Westworld (or whatever), but in the back of my mind I'm also thinking: "Plot is a one-trick pony. Who really cares?" It's all that other stuff that sets a story apart because you only get to be surprised by a plot twist once. It's just not that interesting to me beyond a momentary sense of thrill.

I think plot's fleeting power is one of the reasons I have such trouble with a show like Game of Thrones. Yes, I admit that I'm addicted to finding out what crazy shit will happen next, but I have no desire to go back and re-watch any episodes. The thrill is gone.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system, let me put the lie to it. I can rewatch shows that are really plot heavy, and get enjoyment out of seeing the characters overcome or suffer through their fate -- even if I know what's coming. It's how they do it, and who they are that keeps me going, though. In other words, plot + something else interesting is awesome. But plot alone is never enough. I think that's also why I hate watching shows with people who constantly try to figure out the mystery. It's not that they are going to spoil anything for me (although they will; don't do that!). It's that they take away from my enjoyment of character and craft. I want to watch these specific characters figure shit out, not you! I want to admire the creator's ability to tell a story, not listen to you tell me you've figured it all out (as if the show is a game we're all playing). Keep that competition stuff out of my fiction.

I'm open to hearing a counter-argument!

3 commentaires:

  1. Plot is prevalent in critical discourse lately, I think, because criticism has suddenly become a popular hobby and focusing your analysis on solving plot is an easy way to look clever.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. OTOH this isn't a reason to tolerate bad plots.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Absolutely. But I tend to think you notice bad plots only when a story is messing up some other, more important elements. Often: do the characters seem like people, or horrible plot robots.

    RépondreSupprimer