Pages

6 novembre 2016

Play to see what how it happens.

Play to see what how it happens.

11 commentaires:

  1. What happens here isn't what I had in mind. I mean : when you know what happens, you can play to see how it happens. A<nalogy: nobody goes to watch Hamlet to see what happens.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Wrong analogy: When you watch a fiction you're not supposed to affect it ^^
    I guess we can roll the resolution of a scene first and 'play it' afterwards...

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. That's basically what lies in the heart of Ben Robbins games (Microscope, Kingdom, Follow).

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. what does this look like to you?

    the place my mind goes: games where the GM has a story and the players are there to experience the GM's story. and it's the character details and interactions that define the locus of play.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Volsung 2d6plusCool the analogy stands. It's an analogy, of course it is different in some ways. I can offer you another one if you prefer : dance. Sometimes you get down on the dance-floor and impro your dance to whatever music is playing. Often you already know the music, and can impro or follow a script, but this is a different experience. Sometimes you know the whole program, rehearsed it, this is another experience. Dance nonetheless. Better ?

    Bastien Wauthoz yep. I never played Kingdom and had a bad experience with Follow, but in Microscope you definitely alternate playing (deciding) what then playing (detailing ?) how.

    Luke Wayland among other things. I tend to call my AW preparation scenario but I get what you mean.

    Adam McConnaughey that's indeed a classical way to do it. Not devoid of pitfalls,but it works.

    Another classical way, that often insinuates itself in other play to see what happens forms, is playing flashbacks or flashforwards. When you do that, you decide the what, then you play the how.

    Another way, still, is every time you roll the dice (or cards or whatever) then say/play how that happened.

    I just wanted to bring some attention back from the what to the how. Don’t be mistaken, I like the what, and I won’t let it go, but I’d like to show the how some love also.

    Anyway, you always find bits of what in how and bits of how in what.

    Now I painted myself in a corner and I’d better refine what I mean by how, shouldn’t I?

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Gherhartd Sildoenfein 
    In Hamlet, every scene , every sentence, every word has to be kept, and you can’t leave the stage.
    Rpg is not about acting, declaiming a written speach, and trying to feel and make people feel the preestablished emotions of your character. Rpg is not about watching such a performance , harms crossed in the shadows as well.
    On the dance floor you feel the beat, and go with it.... Or not.
    But you don’t care about the precise tracklist, you can leave the dancefloor at any time, change partners, shake your booty, or stand right in the middle, uptight with a full glass in one hand.
    Most of the people there won’t notice you, and your performance, your joy or boredom won’t affect most of them in any ways.
    In Rpgs our first privilege is to react and improvise and your partners are supposed to give a damn.
    So drop the analogies for Soth sake! ;)

    Play to see how it happens depends of the fiction’s constraints.
    Rolling the outcomes of a scene before playing it was quite refreshing on that ‘special PbtA games soon to be kickstarted’. The mechanics stood aside while we roleplayed and narrated  the whole scene. Since ‘what happens’ was settled before we could stay immersed in the fiction without the trespassing of a move. I liked it.

    If we play Titanic, knowing as the player the demise of that damn boat won’t affect my character whatsoever. I’m still free to court a married woman, trying to secure a juicy contract, or disguise the murder of my wicked aunt . Most of us will never reach our destination.

    If we play King lear  “Edmung is the good guy”’ or The Phantom Menace “What if Kenobi fell to the dark side” color me interested.

    RépondreSupprimer