Pages

13 septembre 2015

I frequently read or hear that rpg are not treated as other games are, that rpger don’t respect the rules as...

I frequently read or hear that rpg are not treated as other games are, that rpger don’t respect the rules as written, change them. Often with undertones of “WTF is wrong with you rpgers, can’t you play the game as designed?” and even sometimes “how dare you call yourself a game designer if you account for that in your rules, give permission to players to change the rules or, worse, give them tools and hints to do so… aren’t you good enough to make these decisions by yourself and stick to them?”

That is not my experience. My experience is that, outside of organised, competitive play, most people change rules when they can. Kids and adults. Right now, I am watching my 8 years old playing the excellent Coco King (I heartily recommend this game) with his two younger siblings. He keeps changing the rules to keep the game fun for everyone. They negotiate rules. This is how games are played for fun, rpg or not.

2 commentaires:

  1. Well, the people who say those things are very stupid, and tend to congregate where they can't get information from outside their bubble/

    RépondreSupprimer