Pages

19 février 2016

Thinking about making a custom replacement for the new Seduce or manipulate move in AW2.

Thinking about making a custom replacement for the new Seduce or manipulate move in AW2. The option  "if they refuse, erase one of their stat highlights for the remainder of the session" just won't work with me. Not saying it is a bad rule, only that it hits a spot where I am completely numb.
 
SEDUCE OR MANIPULATE
 
When you try to seduce or manipulate someone, tell them what you want and roll+hot. For NPCs (...). For PCs: on a 10+ both. On a 7-9, choose 1:
if they do it, they mark experience
if they refuse, erase one of their stat highlights for the remainder of the session
What they do then is up to them.
(...)
 
The symmetry of the design is nice: gain XP or loose a way to gain them. It strikes harder on the negative, the corresponding gain would be to highlight one more stat or to double-highlight one of your highlights.
But XP don’t work with me, worse, they mess with me.

I can always go with the v1 move :
For PCs: on a 10+, both. On a
7–9, choose 1:
if they do it, they mark experience
if they refuse, it’s acting under fire
 
Although it isn't always easy to imagine what the fire will be, it can slow the game's flow a bit.
 
So I am searching for other, easier options.
On a 10+ hold 2. On a 7-9, hold 1. You can spend 1, right now, to ask their player 1 question:
what's your character really feeling?
what does your character intend to do?
Or,
At your will, no matter the circumstances, you can spend  your hold 1 for 1 to:
they take -1
you get +1 against them
 
This sure ain’t easy.

9 commentaires:

  1. ❝However, the Golden Age Past did leave us three things: enough gasoline, enough bullets and enough kittens.❞ Why does it always have to be kittens?

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I'm with you; the negative seems like much more leverage over a PC than the positive. I know which option I'd choose on a 7-9!
    The Act Under Fire option from v1 was troublesome at times (when the fire wasn't obvious at least).
    How about a replacement choice along the lines of "They take -1 forward" as per your second option, but without holds?

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Simple, quite good, but I wonder if it is powerful enough.  -2 is too much.

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. An alternative I see is to let the manipulated player choose what highlighted stat is erased, it could soften the blow.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Tom Z that's not what I am trying to adress. To me the erase highlight options reads like
    if they refuse, nothing
    I am blind to xp. (And, in a lesser measure, stat highlights.)

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Gherhartd Sildoenfein ... if they refuse, set your Hx with them to +3 until the end of session.

    RépondreSupprimer
  7. Gee, Christopher Wargo, I'll have to seriously think about that one.

    RépondreSupprimer